The Livestock Research and Innovation Centre– Dairy Facility, is a joint project between the Agricultural Research Institute of Ontario (ARIO), the University of Guelph, and the Ontario dairy industry. Its unique design provides the flexibility for meeting multi-discipline needs through the collection of data and samples. This innovative facility will benefit research, education, training needs, and the priorities of the Ontario and Canadian dairy sectors ensuring a strong and vibrant future for this important agri-food industry.
The 175,000 ft.2 facility opened in May 2015 and replaced the Elora/Ponsonby Dairy Research Centre.
- Free stall accommodations for 300 mature cows (240 milking) and 300 replacement heifers
- 24 tie stalls for research that requires more instrumentation and monitoring
- 18 pen maternity housing + 4 x 12 flexible, individual or group calf housing
The facility features:
- Four milking systems (rotary parlour, Voluntary Milking Systems robot, tie stalls and maternity)
- 96 Insentec feed mangers that provide continuous feed intakes for individual animals
- Robotic calf feeder to mix, deliver and record milk intake for young calves
- Feed robot to automatically push feed to the cows several times a day
- Intensive care and procedure room
- Sample preparation and storage facilities
- Integrated natural ventilation system
- Training and meeting spaces
- Closed circuit video
Tours are available for the facility, contingent upon approval of the tour request. Each request is considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Rebecca Rebus at 519-826-3809 or email@example.com for more information.